Thursday, September 26, 2013

Gout caused by Dehydration

I was returning from an overnight camping trip with my son's Boy Scout troop. The troop spent the day in the hot sun, heat, and sweat entertaining other scout troops as well as ourselves. When we returned home, my wonderful wife had prepared a delicious meal of fresh kielbasa with some vegetables on the side. Yummy!!! Unfortunately, it did not take long to realize that I had eaten something I should not have eaten. I learned that FRESH kielbasa is made with fresh pork casing which is considered an organ meat. Organ meat is a big 'no no' for gout sufferers. That combined with the fact that I was probably dehydrated from being out in the heat was a recipe for a nasty gout attack. This compelled me to learn more about fresh meats and the importance of staying hydrated. To help prevent a gout attack, it is important to stay hydrated. Without proper hydration, it makes it harder for the body to remove the uric acid that causes gout.

No comments:

Post a Comment